Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Back Story

The Back Story


I am from the morning and moon, born after twelve hours, nine to nine.

I am from the soft grass that crinkled beneath my toes as I wandered through my backyard, smelling the tulips and daffodils.

I am from the old brick school, paralleling the creek bed of crawdads, with a giant slide that accompanied the tire swing of my childhood.

I am from oranges, yellows, and reds, the colors that fueled our economy and embellished my imagination on the hikes, where I was an Indian captive or Pocahontas.

I am from the land of “school is delayed!” There was an inch of snow this morning!

I am from my basement, towel covering the crack in my door, hiding the reading light late into the night.

I am from the blue and gold cement stadium, an amphitheater of sports nestled in the Smokeys.

I am from early mornings and long drives, the birth of my most important education.

I am from plane rides and road trips, the child of constant movement with a steady base.

*Inspired by George Ella Lyon's "Where I'm From"


No comments:

Search This Blog