Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Substitute Experience of Delight

**Yesterday, I filled in for a teacher who needed to leave school for an hour. What ensued left me laughing for the rest of the night. I was wonderfully entertained by adolescent thinking. This may only be funny for my fellow teachers, but I suspect any who remember the abstract thinking of American teenagers may smile.

Boy: But Mrs. Smith always let's me text.

Me: Nice try. Put it away. She's not here. I am.

Boy: (gets up in the middle of a class discussion to get tape) There's no tape. Can I get some from Mrs. Jones?

Me: No. She's teaching and I'm teaching. Get in your seat.

Same boy: (to a girl sitting next to him; with a strong American accent) Tu cuerpo es caliente.

Me: (looking right at him) Don't say that in here.

Scared boy: You speak Spanish?! You understood me?

Me: Yes. So don't say things like that.

Chorus of the class: OH!

During silent reading fifteen minutes later, this same boy, six feet tall, stands up, falls to the ground, and just lays there. And lays there.

Me: Get in your seat. I don't even have a word for you.

(He stayed there for another moment, then got in his seat and behaved for the rest of class.)

**This doesn't sound as funny as it was to experience, but it was so amusing to watch him trying to see what would happen. I didn't have problems with him or anyone else, but it was funny to see how they wanted to see, "what will she do..." :-P

What did I do? Laugh inside. A lot.

2 comments:

Alysha and Jason Whiting said...

Oh this made me laugh! What an entertaining job! I remember trying to take advantage of a Spanish Substitute who didn't speak Spanish. Now I know how it feels to be on the other side! :) Love you!

Unknown said...

I don't think that all people laugh... probably just me. :-P

Search This Blog